From Special Agent to Very Special Mom

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Does it get better?

About a year ago, I met a mother in Sweet and Sassy hair salon who had just given birth to a baby girl with Down Syndrome. Emma was getting her hair cut and the mom was there with her son getting his hair cut. I noticed that she kept looking at me and then at Emma. It was about the same time that I noticed a hospital bracelet on her wrist. She then approached me with tears in her eyes and asked, "Does it get better?" She then proceeds to tell me about her sweet baby girl and how she was born with Down Syndrome and is in the NICU. To ease her mind about her precious daughterm I told her to look at Emma who was then eating a lollipop and proudly getting her hair styled. I explained to her that Emma does everything a typical child does and that yes, it does get better. We are now good friends and have been great support for each other. I could relate to the question she asked because we spent so many heartaching days in the NICU when I would ask many people the same thing. There were days when we didn't know what we were facing with Emma's health and then on the days when things were calm we would begin to worry about Emma's future. It is okay to feel whatever you are feeling, but oh my goodness does it ever get better!! I can't imagine it any other way!

2 comments:

  1. It does get so much better! You were so right! I can't imagine anyone bringing me more joy than my beautiful baby girl but those first months were very hard and I will never forget them. I will always be thankful for your words of comfort. I felt like God put you there in that salon at just the right time and you knew just the right thing to say to me. You gave me a light at the end of the tunnel and boy what a beautiful light it turned out to be! I am so thankful for God making sure that our paths crossed that day. I am usually pretty strong but I needed you that day. Thanks again Amy. Love the blog! Lauren,

    ReplyDelete
  2. There will be days again that make you worry but that's the same for all of us with children who are unique in some way. Part of what makes it better is recognizing the gifts that every child brings even through the heart ache.

    ReplyDelete