From Special Agent to Very Special Mom

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Little Did I Know

Soon after I found out I was pregnant with Emma, I notified my supervisor that I was expecting. Some of the things that I was required to do as a Special Agent were not necessarily safe for a pregnant gal. I worked for an awesome agency that really considered the dangers of a pregnant woman out in the field and they put me on a special assignment during this time. The conversation that I had with my boss, "Mr. I", the day I decided to break the news still runs through my head now and then. After he congratulated Greg and me on our baby news, he asked me if I planned to return to the job (many women do not return after having babies). My response to him was that yes, I planned to come back to work unless we had a child that had special needs and would require extra care. Eerie huh? I think about that conversation and wonder why I would have even said that. We had no reason to believe such a thing would happen. Little did I know that exact scenario would happen and I would resign from my job as a Secret Service agent. Once I resigned from my job, I knew that I would most likely not return to a career in law enforcement, but I did know that I would like to return to work someday.




During Emma's stay in the NICU, I became extremely interested in watching the nurses around me and thinking about how rewarding their job must be. They were a much needed support system for us during a very difficult time, and their compassion towards the babies and their families was moving. I decided that when Emma was at healthy point in her life, I would return to school to become a nurse. I am happy to announce that starting in August I am doing just that!


I got my feet wet so to speak by taking Anatomy and Physiology I and II over this past year. It was very difficult getting back in the saddle and learning how to study again. I was the dorky old lady in the class that was actually interested in what the professor had to say. Hey, I got two A's out of it! I remember laughing at those people back in the day...

I got accepted into a competitive Nursing Program at a college in Nashville for Fall of 2010. I have to say that I am nervous, but oh so excited! I can't wait to be that nurse that can put my arms around a family that is going through a hard time and give them a great big ole hug, or laugh and smile with them when times are good! I know what it is like to be that family and I am looking forward to returning a dose of the compassion that was shown to us.

Little did I know that the conversation I had with my boss one day would not only become reality, but lead to a complete change in careers.

5 comments:

  1. YEAH!!! You're right nurses are some of the best people on Earth. From one older student to another, the second career can be even better than the first! Biggest advice I can give you is to remember to balance - I know It's hard ;)
    By the way, love the pictures of your special agent days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. I didn't realize you guys were in Nashville, or maybe I just missed that part in previous posts. I am from Chattanooga, originally, and miss TN so much! I am sure you will be a great nurse! And it's so odd how the twists and turns of life change us and open doors we would have never gone through otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay I am so excited for you! You will make a wonderful nurse! You are amazing and show love and kindness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great, Amy...Nurses definitely are "called" to the profession, congratulations on admittance to the program! I am so glad to catch up through your blog!

    We have one too at www.worksnprogress.blogspot.com

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy - you will be such a wonderful nurse! i'm so excited for you and thrilled you're entering a profession in desperate need of caring, loving individuals - i can't wait to hear updates! i love your blog and all the pics of sweet Emma! Talk soon - Kristy

    ReplyDelete